|Front Suspension||WP upside-down Ø 43 mm|
|Rear Suspension||WP PDS shock absorber|
|Front Brakes||Disc brake|
|Rear Brakes||Disc brake|
Silence never sounded this electrifying. With an even more powerful motor, the new KTM PowerPack with enhanced capacity, ultra-fast charging times, energy recuperation and revamped WP suspension, this ground-breaking ride is all set to deliver up to one and a half hours of racing without emissions. Or limits.
- The FREERIDE E-XC is suitable for road use. It has all the necessary components for riding to the baker, the local forest or to work. Lights, indicators, mirrors, ignition lock and immobiliser number among the additional features that mean absolute freedom. With peak power at 18 kW, a continuous rated power output of 9 kW and weighing in at 110 kg, it complies with the restrictions of the A1 driving license and may therefore be used by 16-year-old beginners. Engine
- KTM PowerPack: The new KTM FREERIDE E-XC features a new KTM PowerPack with increased capacity. Rated at 3.9 kWh, the new battery provides 50 % more capacity than the previous version’s 2.6 kWh, which makes it capable of powering the electric bike for up to 1.5 hours of riding fun, depending on the riding style and terrain. More good news? It retains full backward compatibility to the previous electric KTM FREERIDE E models.Easily inserted from above, the removable KTM PowerPack sits on top of the motor, secured by four screws and well protected by the frame tubes. It is easily swapped for a fully charged one by simply flipping up the seat and opening four screws. This can be accomplished in a matter of seconds, even quicker than refueling a bike with a combustion engine.Alternatively, the KTM PowerPack can be fully charged while still mounted in the bike by using the connector beneath the seat. In terms of battery aging, even after 700 charge cycles, the KTM PowerPack will still provide 70 % of its initial capacity.
- Control unit: The state-of-the-art control unit is an advanced set of electronics delivering an important contribution toward the responsive yet highly tractable power delivery of the new KTM FREERIDE E-XC. It is water cooled in order to ensure reliable function under any conditions.
- Drivetrain: The new KTM FREERIDE E-XC’s enhanced brushless electric motor is controlled by an intelligent, state-of-the-art control unit specifically adapted for this application to guarantee a responsive, yet highly tractable power delivery for maximum riding fun. In fact, the tighter and twistier the tracks, the more fun is to be had: since the full torque is on tap basically from a standstill, which means that neither a gear shift lever nor a clutch are needed, there is no simpler way of riding a motorcycle.With the advanced motor now providing 18 instead of 16 kW of peak power in Cross mode 3, the new KTM FREERIDE E-XC easily holds its own against many motorcycles with combustion engines. In addition, when Economy mode is selected, the new model is now able to recuperate deceleration energy during coasting and braking for an additional range boost.At the same time, the KTM FREERIDE E-XC delivers full operational safety without compromise. Even fully submerged in water, there is no electrical hazard from the sophisticated, fully sealed system of the drivetrain and KTM PowerPack.
- Display: The multifunctional display between the steering head and seat allows the rider to select one of three different power delivery modes. In addition, a chain of LEDs, colored green to red, provides a visual indication of the charge remaining in the KTM PowerPack, with the red LED starting to flash and the bike automatically entering “limp home mode“ as soon as the charge drops below 10 %. In addition, error codes are indicated by the red LED flashing in different frequencies.
- Ride modes: Three different ride modes are available to adjust the powertrain response to different skill levels on a READY TO RACE motorcycle, while also offering the benefit of the most efficient energy management yet, tailored to meet the current requirements and the rider’s preference: mode 1 “Economy“ with speed limited to 50 km/h; mode 2 “Enduro“ with power restricted to 16 kW and the unrestricted mode 3 “Cross“, where the full power of up to 18 kW is available.
- Cooling: In order to guarantee consistent operating temperatures, the heat from the motor and control unit is dissipated by two small lateral radiators, with an electrical water pump circulating the coolant.
- The chassis of the KTM FREERIDE E-XC was developed specifically to meet the demands of an electric offroad motorcycle. KTM has assembled a package of its most innovative solutions, including a steel-aluminum composite frame and a subframe made of high-strength polyamide. The KTM FREERIDE E-XC thus guarantees playful handling, with the peace of mind that comes with a low seat height, in addition to low weight, a strong frame, strong brakes and first-rate suspension components with long travel.
- Frame: The chassis of the KTM FREERIDE E-XC features a very lightweight composite frame design combining top quality chrome-molybdenum steel with bolt-on forged aluminum sections. In contrast to the KTM FREERIDE 250 F, the frame of the E-model has an open lower section, with the motor and massive aluminum skid plate functioning as stressed members. This design ensures optimal stiffness and stability for top safety, even in high jumps. For model year 2018, the proven frame has received an update in the form of a longer steering head, which increases front end stability for even better tracking.
- Subframe: The bolt-on subframe is fabricated from high-strength polymer. Featuring exceptional rigidity, it makes a significant contribution towards keeping the overall vehicle weight down. The integrated grip handle is recessed and well protected from mud and dirt thrown up by the rear wheel.
- Wheels: Assembled from new anodized aluminum Giant rims and CNC machined hubs, and using lightweight aluminum spoke nipples, the high-end wheels of the new KTM FREERIDE E-XC are hard to beat in terms of both weight and stability.
- Tires: The new KTM FREERIDE E-XC is now fitted with Maxxis Trialmaxx tires front and rear which were developed specifically for the KTM FREERIDE series. With their high land-sea ratio tread pattern, they leave much less of an impression on the ground than conventional Enduro competition tires, while at the same time delivering amazing traction. The high profile provides appreciably more comfort and also benefits the suspension.
- Front suspension: The new KTM FREERIDE E-XC uses the brand new WP XPlor 43 fork, a set of 43 mm upside-down fork legs with 250 mm of travel. With outstanding response and damping characteristics, the new WP XPlor 43 has an even more sensitive feel and enhanced protection against bottoming out. A split fork design with springs on both sides, each of the fork legs houses a separate damping function, with the compression on the left side and rebound damping on the right, both easily adjusted with dials on top of the fork.
- Rear suspension: A perfect match for the new WP XPlor 43 fork, the new WP PDS XPlor shock absorber that provides 260 mm of wheel travel and reduces weight by 430 g. In a design typical of KTM competition Enduros, the successful PDS rear suspension (progressive damping system) has the shock absorber mounted directly to the top of the swingarm, which eliminates the added weight and complexity of a linkage. Adding to the progression achieved by the suspension geometry and progressive spring, the new WP PDS XPlor comprises a second damping piston with a closed cup towards the end of the stroke for extra protection against bottoming out. Besides the rebound adjustment, the shock absorber also features separately adjustable high and low speed compression damping. The seat height may be lowered by an additional 25 mm using a bespoke kit available through the KTM PowerParts program.
- Triple clamp: Newly designed triple clamps increase the rigidity of the complete front end for superior tracking stability. Matching the longer steering head of the new KTM FREERIDE E-XC’s frame, the new triple clamps are CNC machined to the most exacting specifications for increased clamping action.
- Brakes: Since the electric bike needs no clutch, the logical choice was to mount both brake master cylinders on the handlebar instead of choosing the standard arrangement on motorcycles. This means it is no longer necessary for the rider to use his foot to initiate a drift. The latest Formula brake system features a radial 4-piston front caliper on a 260 mm Wave brake disc as well as a 2-piston rear caliper on a matching 230 mm rear Wave brake disc. New rear brake pads and piston diameters have been reduced by 2 mm in the rear and, combined with a 1 mm increase in front disc thickness, result in an enhanced brake feel for even better control. The new braided front brake hose has an extra tube with an integrated channel to protect the speedometer cable.
- Handlebar: The new tapered Neken high-strength aluminum handlebar of the KTM FREERIDE E-XC has the same bend and width as the EXC handlebar, providing the rider with enhanced ergonomics and control. The handlebar is equipped with new ODI grips, with a convenient lock-on grip on the left, which requires neither adhesives nor wire for a secure fit.
- Seat: Offering unrestricted freedom of movement, combined with excellent comfort, the long, narrow seat of the new KTM FREERIDE E-XC is easily unlocked and unlatched for access to the KTM PowerPack. At a seat height of just over 900 mm, ground contact is within reach of most riders, even in difficult terrain, which increases confidence and gives the rider a greater feeling of safety, which is particularly good for beginners. The KTM PowerParts range of high quality accessories includes an alternative seat with even lower seat height.
- Footpegs: Lightweight, wide cast footpegs provide safe contact on the new KTM FREERIDE E-XC. The footpegs feature eccentric brackets that can be rotated by 180 degrees for a position offset 8 mm to the rear. This seemingly minute adjustment serves to shift the balance to provide handling either towards increased traction (rear) or easier cornering, respectively, as required.
- With in-mold graphics providing a rugged and lightweight solution for the latest design, the new KTM FREERIDE E-XC’s modern and ergonomical new bodywork provides lots of rider mobility with excellent contact patches, as well as narrow seat and spoiler lines. Integrating a more efficient front light, the new headlight mask hooks into a newly designed fender. Open handguards are now standard equipment.
- Dashboard: The KTM FREERIDE E-XC features a dashboard with a new digital speedometer from MAE and numerous features, including ease of use and integrated warning and indicator lights. For model year 2018, the speedometer cable is well protected in the braided front brake hose tube, which now has an integrated channel. In addition the bike features a new location for the ignition lock on the right hand side of the headlight mask next to the speedometer guaranteeing easy access.
- Charger: The external charger can be connected to any regular 230V socket fused at 10A or 13A and can be easily connected to the KTM PowerPack by flipping up the seat. Charging time is about 110 minutes for a full charge, or about 75 minutes for an 80 % charge.
- Frame design: Perimeter steel-aluminium composite frame
- Front suspension: WP upside-down Ø 43 mm
- Rear suspension: WP PDS shock absorber
- Suspension travel (front): 9.84 inch
- Front brake: Disc brake
- Rear brake: Disc brake
- Front brake disc diameter: 260 mm
- Rear brake disc diameter: 230 mm
- Chain: 5/8 x 1/4 in.
- Steering head angle: 67 deg.
- Transmission: Single speed transmission
- Primary drive: 1:2.4
- Secondary gear ratio: 11:48